Full-Day Wine Tasting Tour in the Province of Avellino

Full-Day Wine Tasting Tour in the Province of Avellino
Food, Wine & Nightlife > Wine Tasting & Winery Tours > Wine Tasting
$741.18
Duration: 9 hours
Reserve Now

Description

Enjoy a private 9-hours tour in the province of Avellino the hinterland of Campania Region and the homeland of Aglianico Greco and Fiano grapes. This tour begins after your picked up by a private driver at select Naples, Sorrento, Positano hotels or the at ports in these locations. A English speaking guide will take you on the tour of the vineyards, wine cellars, and accompany you on the tasting of these wines.

First visit Feudi di San Gregorio one of the largest wineries in the area with a production of 1,500,000 bottles of wine a year. After the visit to the Feudi di San Gregorio drive to the hill town of Taurasi motherland of the Taurusi wine.

Next stop to a local trattoria for lunch. Then you will go visit Cantine Antonio Caggiano. It's a very small winery, (family owned) with a production of only 150,000 bottles a year, but is has one of the most spectacular wine cellars in the area. After the tour of the cellar Mr. Caggiano will personally introduce you to some of his wine. His Taurasi 2010 was elected best Italian red wine in 2015 by Bibenda (The International Association of Sommelier).

1)A TAURASI DOCG, RED WINE:
Taurasi first gained its DOC status in 1970 and was promoted to DOCG in 1993. Under these regulations, the wines must comprise at least 85% Aglianico grapes from the province of Avellino. The remaining 15% can be made up with other permitted local red grapes, usually Piedirosso . The majority, however, tend to be pure Aglianico. The wines must be aged for three years before release with a minimum of one year in barrel. Riservas require a further one year with at least 18 months in oak.

2)FIANO DI AVELLINO, WHITE WINE:
This white has carried the DOCG status since 2003, and its immense purity of fruit, elegance and refinement distinguishes it among its peers. The wines are characterized by lush notes of quince, orange blossom, spice and hazelnuts with an excellent underlying minerality and lively acidity. Under DOCG regulations, there must be a minimum of 85% of Fiano Grapes, with the possible addition of up to 15% from a selection of Greco or Coda di Volpe Bianca. The wines are usually best drunk between three and five years, although some will last as long as seven to ten years from the finest vineyards:

3)GRECO DI TUFO, WHITE WINE:
The appellation received its DOCG status in 2003. The wines must contain a minimum of 85% Greco di Tufo grapes, and up to 15% of Coda di volpe is also permitted.Greco di Tufo wines stand out from the crowd thanks to the unique characteristics of the sulfur-and tufa-rich volcanic and clay soils; it is believed that these lend the wine its perfume and mineral complexity. The refreshing, crisp white wines are known for their aromatic notes of lemons, pears and toasted almonds and a lingering mineral finish. The wines are generally at their best within three years of bottling

Enjoy a private 9-hours tour in the province of Avellino the hinterland of Campania Region and the homeland of Aglianico Greco and Fiano grapes. This tour begins after your picked up by a private driver at select Naples, Sorrento, Positano hotels or the at ports in these locations. A English speaking guide will take you on the tour of the vineyards, wine cellars, and accompany you on the tasting of these wines.